| || Place Charles-de-Gaulle|
|Open : ||April 1 through September 30: from 9.30 to 23.00|
October 1 through March 31: from 10.00 to 22.30
|Close : ||January 1, May 1, May 8 (morning), July 14 (morning), November 11 (morning) and December 25. |
Full tariff :
7â¬ per person.
|Reduced tariff : ||Individual: â¬4.5 |
Groups: 5.50 euros per person for groups of more than 20 people.
From Oct. 1 to Mar. 15: 15 euros per person for groups of 30 students
From Mar. 16 to Sept. 30: 30.50 euros per person for groups of 30
lignes 1, 2 et 6 - station Charles-de-Gaulle-Etoile.
|RER : ||ligne A - station Charles-de-Gaulle-Etoile.|
|Bus : ||lignes 22, 30, 31, 52, 73, 92 et Balabus.
Spoken languages : English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
Accepted means of payment : Carte Bleue, Cash, Check, MASTERCARD, VISA card
Length : 45 m
Height : 50 m
Length: 45 metres
Height: 50 metres
Architects: Begun by Jean FranÃ§ois Chalgrin, who was suceeded by L. Goust and J-N. Huyot.
The Arc de Triomphe is situated 2.2 kms north-west of the Place de la Concorde, at the far end of the Avenue des Champs-ElysÃ©es. The Arc de Triomphe is at the centre of the Place de lâEtoile, a roundabout from which radiates 12 avenues. Some of these avenues are named after Napoleonic victories (Wagram, IÃ©na, Friedland), others honour well-known generals of the Empire period (Marceau, Hoche, Carnot) as well as the French army (Grande ArmÃ©e).
The Arc de Triomphe and its monumental pillars are decorated by relief sculptures commemorating various events of the French Revolution, including the First Empire, period. On the right, facing the Champs ElysÃ©es, is Â«La MarseillaiseÂ» (also known as âThe Volunteersâ Departureâ) by FranÃ§ois Rude. On the left of the same side is Â«Napoleonâs VictoryÂ» by Cortot. Â«ResistanceÂ» and Â«PeaceÂ» (both by Etex) are located on the other side of the monument.
17th century: In 1667, the park of the Tuileries Palace was extended as far as the Chaillot hill (where the Arc de Triomphe is now located). AndrÃ© Le NÃ´tre designed this park, which included several large avenues.
In 1694, a newly-built avenue was named âChamps ElysÃ©esâ.
19 th century: In 1806, upon his return from the successful Battle of Austerlitz, NapolÃ©on Bonaparte had a monument erected in honour of the French Army. The construction took the form of a triumphal arch in honour of antiquity and Napoleonâs military genius.
Work was suspended after the fall of the Napoleonic Empire, but begun again in 1825 and finished in 1836, when the monument was inaugurated by the king, Louis-Philippe.
The Arc de Triomphe also featured in Baron Haussmannâs renovation of Paris town planning: the roundabout was installed in 1854 and several years later, a further seven avenues were added.
On December 15, 1840, when Napoleonâs ashes were being transferred to Paris, the cortege passed under the Arc de Triomphe.
On May 22, 1885, an all-night vigil was held there for Victor Hugo, prior to his burial in the Pantheon.
20th century: Following the Armistice in 1919, the victorious troops paraded under the Arc de Triomphe. The body of an unknown soldier was buried there in November 1920, and the eternal flame at the centre of the Arc de Triomphe, honoring those fallen on the World War I battlefields, was lit in 1923.
In August 1944, at the liberation of Paris, General de Gaulle came to render hommage to the Unknown Solider.
As of that date, the Arc de Triomphe became the site for many public and patriotic ceremornies.
Source : Monum